I found this recipe several years ago in a magazine as something you could make with leftover Thanksgiving turkey. We love this soup, and usually just make it with chicken.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups cubed cooked turkey or chicken
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 can (15 ounces) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion, celery and garlic in oil until tender. Stir in the broth, turkey, pumpkin, beans, salt, basil and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally. Serve with Parmesan cheese if desired. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
*For extra nutrition, add spinach (frozen or fresh, chopped)