Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Easy Marinara


Prep Time: 10 minutes, Cook Time: 8 hours

· 2 onions, chopped

· 8 cloves garlic, minced (I use a couple of big spoonfuls from a jar of minced garlic)

· 1 large (6 lb. 6 oz.) can crushed tomatoes (see * below)

· 6 oz. can tomato paste

· 2 c. shredded carrots, optional

· 1 T. dried basil

· 1 t. oregano

· 1-2 t. salt

· 2 t. beef bouillon granules

· Crushed red pepper, if desired

Combine all ingredients in a slow cooker. Cover and cook on low setting for 8-10 hours. Serve sauce over pasta. 18-20 servings.

* I used a huge can from Sam’s Club. It costs less than 2.50 which is a great deal. I also like that the tomatoes are unpeeled and crushed—it adds extra fiber!


3 comments:

merathon said...

i've been wanting a good recipe for marinara sauce. is this your favorite one you've tried? can you freeze it?

Heather Jones said...

I am making this for dinner tonight! Thanks for your time doing this blog. I discovered this less that 24 hour ago and this is the second recipe I've used!

How much red pepper do you use to give it a little flavor, but not too hot? I can experiment, I just wondered where to start. I know that it can get things really hot in a hurry! (Which I like, but my family doesn't)

Mirien said...

Heather, for this much sauce I'd add about a teaspoon. But I've found that all red pepper flakes are not the same. I bought a new bottle recently and it is much more potent so I'm learning to use less--after a couple of dinners that were too spicy for most of the kids.